[Cialug] Pod Casting

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Thu Sep 1 17:58:26 CDT 2005

Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> I've install iPodder and have gotten into this pod casting.
> Thanks for the head up on this. I've never thought of getting
> an mp3 player until now. I'm not that much into music, but this
> is pretty cool.
>
> Any suggestions for a Linux friendly mp3 player. It would be nice
> if it also played ogg vorbis files, and act as a USB drive as well.

I really like my Rio Carbon. It's a 5gb HD player. It doesn't support
OGG, but it is otherwise linux (and any os) friendly. You just plug it
in to a USB port, and it shows up as a removable HD. You can use
musicmatch or iTunes with it, but I prefer just copying files to it.

Unfortunately, Rio was just killed by it's parent company (Denon?) last
week. But you might be able to find them on clearance now. The were
selling for well under $200 before (refirbs are as low as $129), which
is a lot better than an iPod mini, with an extra 1gb of disk space.

-dc