[Cialug] Linux on NEC MobilePro 780

afan at afan.net afan at afan.net
Thu Sep 1 11:05:15 CDT 2005

I got NEC MobilePro 780 Handhelp PC
http://support.necsam.com/MobileSolutions/hardware/handhelds/mobilepro780/
http://support.necsam.com/download/mp780datshtac3.pdf

Is it possible to replace WinCE with Linux?
If yes, how complex is it?
If not, what would I get with Linux more then I have now with WinCE?
Is there anybody can help me with? (I'll bring it on Installfest :))

MOBILEPRO 780 OVERVIEW

MODEL NUMBER: MC-R530A

DISPLAY:
QMedia 128-bit chipset
8.1" diagonal DSTN touch screen
64K* colors
640 x 240 (half-VGA) resolution on display
Up to 800 x 600 resolution on external monitor.

CPU:
168MHz NEC VR4121™ MIPS 24KB cache

USER DATA ENTRY METHODS:
Stylus pen for Touchscreen
78-key QWERTY keyboard:
17.5mm center-to-center alpha key pitch
10 program launch keys
Touch-typeable

RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM):
32 MB (Not upgradable - Limited by Windows CE Memory Map)

READ-ONLY MEMORY (ROM):
24 MB (Replaceable - NYA)

SPEAKER: One built-in speaker

INTERFACE PORTS:
Infrared (IrDA) Communication: Baud rate - FIR 4 Mbps maximum Distance -
2 to 20 inches
Serial Interface: Baud rate - 115.2 Kbps maximum
Audio jack for optional Earphone/Microphone
VGA Out
Telephone jack for built-in modem
MODEM Data - V.90, 56 Kbps** (AT commands)
Fax - 14.4 Kbps (Fax Class I)

thanks

-afan