[Cialug] Meaning of ethernet connectivity light

Andrew Vick avick at remote-print.com
Thu Oct 27 08:56:59 CDT 2005

Dave Weis wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Andrew Vick wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how much needs to be working with the
>> card/cable/modem in order to get the ethernet connection light to go
>> on, or how much can be wrong before it goes off?  I'm curious about
>> the general case as much as anything specific to my setup.  How much
>> functionality does that light indicate?
>
> It's a link light like a switch would have. Can you pull dhcp from the
> modem and get to 192.168.0.1?

It's supposed to be a static IP address (it was configured as such at our apartment before we moved), and we cannot ping either the modem's IP or 192.168.0.1.  When we try to ping the modem or load a web page (such as google), the ethernet lights on the modem flicker but no connection is made.

-Andrew V.