[Cialug] ah, aH, AH...UBUNTU, (excuse me) was, OT: mac-mini?

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Fri Oct 21 10:39:19 CDT 2005

I did try Ubuntu Live CD for PPC for an old Mac that I had bought just
for the fun of it.  But the frustration I had with Ubuntu Live CD for
PPC is that it would only install the system, not do a live CD.  I was
rather disappointed with the mis-labelling.  And in case you ask, ....
yes I did check to make sure I downloaded the right ISO. :)

That isn't to say Ubuntu is bad or anything.  I am simply sharing my
first-time experience with Ubuntu. For that Mac, after I am done
playing with its OS 9 and backup all my stuff I want to keep, I may
install Ubuntu, but I just wished that a Live CD would mean a Live CD.
I had the impression it was like Knoppix. But imagine for those who are
trying to take their first steps toward Linux and they hear about a
live CD only to find out it is an installer. That will feel like a bait
and switch. Either they will drop the whole idea, or they will go ahead
and back everything up and install it just to see what it is like. But
for those who just need to experience it first and then install it,
they will likely drop the idea.  Just something I thought I would
mention.

I am a great fan of Linux and open source and promote it to others too.
At one time, I was willing to forgo functionality for free software,
but I have noticed that it costs me in my effectiveness in my work. So
I am changing a little in my perspectives to say that if it doesn't
cost me in effectiveness, my first choice is open source.  Otherwise, I
have to go with proprietary software to make sure that I am effective
in my work. I guess that goes back to the values and value discussion.

For me, I guess open source still has to compete in the area of
effectiveness and feature set if you will draw in the ordinary users.
Not everyone will buy into the "lose functionality for the sake of free
software" argument. In fact, I had someone turn down Linux for that
reason. They felt it was not effective enough and they went back to
Windows. They preferred the functionality of Windows to the free
software of Linux. I think Linux is getting there. What I have seen of
more recent Linux distributions makes me become more interested in
trying again. But we can't lower the standard of functionality and
expect ordinary users to agree. Only ordinary users whose pocketbooks
won't allow Windows or Mac OS X will be willing to make that exchange
and they might only do that until they can get into the "mainstream"
computing world. I think that will change someday, but it isn't here
yet in my opinion.  Yet, I hope it does because I am impressed with
Linux, I like the philosophy behind open source, and would like to see
it succeed.

Thanks,

Stuart