[Cialug] OT: mac-mini?

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at raccoon.com
Fri Oct 21 10:12:30 CDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 09:49:07AM -0500, Tony Bibbs wrote:

> This has come up quite a few times but I'm not a believer in the Eutopia
> many OSS fans believe exists (like RMS) that all code should be open
> and, if possible, free.

That's a distortion of RMS's position.  I think he's been very
clear over the years that he is willing to forgo some
functionality in order to remain free.

That doesn't sound like a Utopian belief to me, it sounds like
an expression (Hi Dave Hala!) of his values.

> From a business standpoint I can understand why
> some companies choose to open things and why others in similar
> situations may not.  They deserve the autonomy to decide just as the
> consumer deserves the autonomy to decide which makes the most sense for
> them.

Of course companies deserve that autonomy.  Who says otherwise?

--
Joe