[Cialug] OT: mac-mini?

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Thu Oct 20 18:21:43 CDT 2005

Bryan Baker wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2005, at 3:50 PM, David Champion wrote:
>
>> Don't mean to sound all RMS here, but...
>>
>> The new version of Linux and / or Firefox didn't cost me anything.
>> That alone might be enough to justify not buying a Mac. How much do
>> those incremental MacOSX updates cost?
>
> Large feature upgrades cost. Just like any other for pay OS. $129 is the
> current retail on it, and it's a full new licence, NOT an upgrade. You
> can donate it, or put it on another machine legally. Last I heard you
> were a paying Mandriva "club" member. That's admirable, but it is
> costing you $$. I know you have the option to freeload, and that's fine,
> but geeeze, these folks have a product and they want to eat too.
>
> Security, and bug fix updates (service packs) are (beer) free.
>
> You are also perfectly free to install Linux or *BSD on that box if you
> want.

The Mandriva Club Silver membership I have costs $132 / year. There's a
lower level one for $66 / year. I do it to be supporting a company that
does a lot of OSS development - they maintain several OSS projects and
actively contribute to others like KDE. I could find other ways to
donate to OSS development, but this sounded like a good way to do it
that spread the money around, and gains me some benefit as well.

You can find this info here:

http://www.mandrivalinux.com/en/club/

Mandriva has a "delayed release" schedule, similar to a Slashdot
subscription, where you can get the same distribution, just a week or so
after the Club members.

They also provide some non-free distributions, software and services to
Club members, but non-club members can also buy that software it they'd
like.

Anyone can get a fully functional Mandriva Linux OS, or any one of
dozens of other Linux / BSD OS's for no cost. Not so with OSX or Windows.

>> Microsoft doesn't even charge for those - once I purchased WinXP, I
>> get incremental updates (as in SP2, and security releases) for no
>> additional charge. Dang, now you've got me sounding like a MS fanboy...
>
> But did you did pay if you wanted to go from 95 to 98 (or even se as I
> recall) or to ME or to 2k... just because Apple are actually releasing
> products worth paying for, doesn't mean MS updates are free - I bet you
> won't get Vista™ for free either.

I get functionality updates from MS to things like IE and Media Player.
I don't use either of those much because the suck, but I didn't have to
pay for an OS update to get them.

I pay for the MS OS at home because I want it to play games that are
only available on that platform. If I could get those games to run
reliably on Linux, I would. Other than that I have no reason to need or
want Windows at home. Hopefully either game developers will start
releasing more Linux versions, or WinXP will be sufficient for those
needs for a while, and I won't have to buy Vista.

p.s. Get your Quake 4 Linux Client :
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/20/1831234&tid=112&tid=10

Either way, I have to pay for Windows, and you have to pay for MacOSX,
so the amount really just accounting.

>> MacOSX is a nifty / pretty *nix, but it's:
>>
>> a. Proprietary (read today's comments on /. regarding OO.o and Carbon)
>
> ooh, it's on slashdot so uh, it must be true.

Oh. So there's already a MacOSX native port of OO.o 2.0 that nobody
knows about? I don't know all of the semantics, but if I understand
correctly there's an ugly(?) X11 port, but the native OSX port is a bit
behind.

I don't currently see the comment there, it may have gotten modded down
below my threshold. Anyone with an opinion on /. is obviously a troll. ;)

Apple chose to use a proprietary WM / envirionment / whatever you want
to call Cocoa / Carbon... and Mac users have to wait for things like
OO.o to be ported to it. I'm sure there are benefits to it, but it's no
fun to point those out! :)

>> b. Not OSS (would follow a. then, wouldn't it?)
>
> uh, no. you loose, thanks for playing. there are elements of the OS that
> are totally proprietary (IIRC I think several Linux distros include some
> non-free tech) but there is a core of tech (OpenDarwin) that is roughly
> equivalent to a normal BSD/Linux that IS definitely OSS - by OSDL
> standards. You're just wrong there Dave.

You are correct that some Linux distros, including Mandriva, do contain
some closed code. For instance, they distribute the proprietary nVidia
drivers. However, I can use the free

OpenDarwin is the commodity part of the OS, that has little to
differentiate itself from BSD or Linux. Without the proprietary stuff,
there's no reason for me to want OSX.

For instance, I could install OpenDarwin and run an apache server, but I
couldn't run Photoshop in it, right?

MacOSX != OpenDarwin.

Saying that MacOSX is a little bit proprietary is like saying someone is
a little bit dead.

Apple does a lot for OSS - like the Rendezvous / zeroconf thing. But
they also do a lot of proprietary and downright unfriendly things. Ask
any one of the many people who've been sued by them.

>> Uh, end rant.
>
> uh, end rant rant.

End? That's no fun!

I would argue that most of the useablity issues remaining with a Linux
desktop system relate to issues like what we were fighting at the
meeting last night with Dave Swagler's Gateway laptop... which ties back
to my comments earlier this week with hardware vendor support for Linux
drivers, or at least providing specifications for someone to develop
them. (BTW, Barry got the Broadcom wifi driver loaded, but it's not
connecting to the WAP yet).

Installing Linux on hardware that's a year or so old is usually fairly
simple. It's new / exotic cutting edge hardware that causes headaches,
unfortunately.

Once a Linux system is up and running, it's very user friendly. I have
had non-technical people using a Linux desktop for web browsing, word
processing and other common tasks, and they often don't even notice that
it's Linux until I point it out. My fairly non-technical parents were
using a Linux desktop system for about a year for web surfing and word
processing.

Using a USB drive, or my digital camera, or my MP3 player in Mandriva
Linux is just as easy as it is in Windows or I would assume a Mac. I
plug them in, and they work.

In the end, we all have the choice to use whatever OS we want (as long
as we can afford it)... and I personally think it's great that we have
so many choices. For instance if buying a Mac Mini will keep your wife
happy, then by all means, buy one. But this is ostensibly a Linux F/OSS
User Group, so I think it is our responsibility to support the F/OSS
alternatives to proprietary systems.

-dc