[Cialug] OT: mac-mini?

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Thu Oct 20 13:10:34 CDT 2005

Tony Bibbs wrote:
> I've been hesitant to jump into a mac desktop or laptop for the sheer
> cost and the change it would impose on me.  However, my wife and I are
> looking at buying or building a relatively cheap PC for our kids and one
> we could wire our ipods up to.  I immediatley thought this might be a
> good excuse to buy a mac-mini...it would help me determine if I like
> mac's, has decent games for the kids and, obviously, would work fine
> with our ipods.
>
> Figured I'd ask if anybody on this list has a mac-mini and, if so, what
> they think of it.

Gaming options for the Mac are limited compared to those for a Windows
PC, and as Bryan mentioned, the Mini doesn't have a very fast video
processor.

Depending on the age of your kids and what kind of games you're looking
at, a Gamecube or Playstation 2 might be a good option for the games.
There are rumors that both of those will be highly discounted (like,
$99) once the "next gen" Xbox 360 console is released.

-dc