[Cialug] OT: mac-mini?

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Thu Oct 20 12:28:46 CDT 2005

Don't have a mini, but do know Macs.
If you're not expecting a screaming gaming rig, the mini should be a
good way to dip a toe in.
One caveat, the KB & Mouse will need to be USB - you probably have a
mouse that fits the bill, but maybe not a KB and the mini is BYOKB&M.
It should come w/ a DVI to VGA adapter, so an existing XGA or DVI
monitor should work fine.

One bonus, if you decide you don't like it, you could use it as a fancy
DVD player/media center, and there's always PPC linux. Macs also tend
to hold a bit more resale value than PCs.

One other down side of the mini's is they are G4's, but as I said, if
your needs are modest, they're fine.

On Oct 20, 2005, at 11:56 AM, Tony Bibbs wrote:
> I've been hesitant to jump into a mac desktop or laptop for the sheer
> cost and the change it would impose on me.  However, my wife and I are
> looking at buying or building a relatively cheap PC for our kids and
> one we could wire our ipods up to.  I immediatley thought this might
> be a good excuse to buy a mac-mini...it would help me determine if I
> like mac's, has decent games for the kids and, obviously, would work
> fine with our ipods.
>
> Figured I'd ask if anybody on this list has a mac-mini and, if so,
> what they think of it.
>
> --Tony

Bryan Baker
Technology Advocate