[Cialug] Linux hardware support

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Wed Oct 19 10:42:17 CDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> I can't wait for the day when there is a "killer-must have app" that
> runs on linux -add the developers refuse to port it to Windows.

That's the problem, cool stuff like ethereal and the other wireless
sniffers just get ported by someone.

> :) Dave
>
> On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 10:43, Jeff Davis wrote:
>> No, definitely not.
>> However I've come to expect such rhetoric from sales/marketing people.
>>
>> I told him that I thought the product was an okay fit for most sales and execs,
>> but I have IT folks who travel between offices and 2 are linux users and
>> one is a mac user.   It doesn't do me much good if I can't deploy it to *all*
>> the people who need it.
>>
>> I asked him if they were developing the tools for mac/linux or were
>> even planning on doing so, he was going to check it out and get back
>> to me.  I'm still waiting..........
>>

>> Lee wrote:
>>> "asked me if I really had enough mobile linux users to need it"
>>>
>>> Not the kind of response a potential business customer likes to hear. I
>>> think going with another solution is easier than forcing my user base to
>>> switch platforms for just one tool.

Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent
                       encroachments of those in power than by violent
                       and sudden usurpations."- James Madison