[Cialug] Linux hardware support

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Tue Oct 18 18:22:33 CDT 2005

Aaron Porter wrote:
> On 10/18/05, David Champion <dave at visionary.com> wrote:
>
>>Obviously emailing or calling them and requesting the drivers is one
>>method. We could do a petition, but I've never been a big fan of those.
>
> Vote with your feet (or your pocketbook). Make an effort to buy from vendors
> and manufacturers that support linux. Do so even when you don't really have
> to. Let them know that you appriciate their linux support. Do the same thing
> at work.

I choose Dell servers, partially because they allow you to either select
a Linux OS (RHEL) or purchase with no OS at a discounted price. When I'm
talking to my Dell sales rep, I specifically tell them when I'm
installing Linux on them. Unfortunately they don't offer the same for
laptops, at least on their web site. They do have selected desktops
available with Linux, but looks like you have to pay for RedHat - there
is not a "No OS" option like on the servers.

But IMHO, this is a very passive way about it. For instance, with the
WiFi card situation, the vendors may not know how much demand there is
for Linux driver unless people actually request them. If you just buy a
card with Linux support... you're a tiny blip on their sales radar.
Chances are they won't even notice, because 90% of their customers are
buying the card to use under Windows anyway.

That's why I think we need to make a little noise about it... and let
them know that you'll purchase products that have Linux driver support.

-dc