[Cialug] Learning the 'C' language

Kenneth Ristau kristau at kristau.net
Wed Oct 12 20:33:57 CDT 2005

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> Anybody know of a good place locally (DSM Metro) to learn 'C'?
> Really just plain C, but maybe C++ if that's all there is.
>
> Looks like most CS departments teach with PASCAL or JAVA.
>
> thanks.
>
> -Nate

Taking a giant step back here.  Nate has asked if there are any good
CompSci programs/courses in the Central Iowa area that focus on the C
programming language.  I don't personally know of any, but I would
suggest searching the course catalogs of every college in the area.
Most schools will let you take courses a la carte, I think?

An important subtlety that I missed with my first reply is that Nate has
already identified how he learns best -- within a structured course
framework.  He set me straight with his rebuttal.

K&R's tome is indeed the 'Old Testament of C,' but it is still very
relevant.  The writing style is "college textbook" and quickly takes the
student from the classic 'Hello World' problem to low-level I/O.  It
packs a lot of information into few pages, so the learning curve is
steep.  To this day, I've not yet completed the exercises in chapter
one, but I'm not very highly motivated, either.  C for me is an idle
interest (sadly, idle for quite some time now).

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night

My GNUPG public key is available at http://www.kristau.net/public_key.asc