[Cialug] Learning the 'C' language

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Tue Oct 11 22:21:19 CDT 2005

Message| For programming.  I could get what I need from a book, but I
need
| an instructor to help me stay on task.  I have the K&R book.
|
| I know a smattering of other things.  All languages have
| similarities in program flow and branching.  A review of basic
| syntax and variable-types then a dive into 'C' uniqueness and data
| structures would suit me best.  Linked lists, pointers hash tables,
| hmm starting to sound like a data structures class.
|
| What I would be even more interested in is the environment around C
| in Linux.  GCC and make and the C libraries.  ...  The stuff you
| need to know to contribute to a project.  Malloc, threading.

Dave Weiss has offered to teach, so could I. If you've worked your way
through K&R (and done the exercises!) you're probably pretty well on
your way.

There's a link to a collection of C sources at http://www.iedu.com/c
with some examples of simple linked list functions, a malloc (and
friends) tracing tool, etc that may help you to get started.

I'd suggest downloading a copy of the ANSI C specification document to
keep handy as a reference.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to lurk on news:comp.lang.c - the regulars
there really know their stuff and seem to enjoy helping usenet-clueful
folks learn.

Speaking of cluefulness, you might consider picking up a copy of POSIX
Programmer's Guide from ora.com - because of your intended environment.

If you're going at this stuff /really/ seriously, you'll eventually want
all of Richard Stevens' books - starting with Advanced Programming in
the Unix Environment. RS answers a lot of the questions that K&R didn't
even come near. You won't need 'em right away, but start saving now. :-)

Gcc is pretty much a no-brainer to use - but make will have you pulling
your hair and swearing (a lot!) before you become friends. You'll
survive it.

Tackle process control (threading, shared variables, etc) last since
you'll probably want to have a certain amount of single-thread
experience behind you before you start juggling multiple threads
(DAMHIKT).

Morris Dovey
http://www.iedu.com/c/