[Cialug] Virtual Host Management

Jonathan Bailey jcbailey at code0.net
Sat Oct 1 11:13:06 CDT 2005

I'm looking for a better solution for vhost management than I currently
have. I'm currently using MySQL for authentication and mail use. I've
thought about switching to LDAP, but it seems to be a royal pain to set up.
I'd like to use LDAP since it allows tree-based permissions, but have a few
questions...

1) Here is the layout I want - are there any schemas available that make
this easy to do?

[Root]
 +-vhostdomain.com (OU)
   +-user at vhostdomain.com (User Object)
   +-www.vhostdomain.com (Apache Vhost Object)
   +-(etc)...

2) What is a good source of schemas for use like this?

3) What does everyone recommend for administration?

4) Can I assign anything like trustee rights (like Netware)? I'd like to
make users a trustee of a domain (OU) to give them admin rights on that
domain. Or even trustee over specific objects.

5) With Apache Vhosting out of LDAP, is there any way to add extra
configuration info (free form)?

6) Any pitfalls I should be aware of switching from a mostly MySQL based
solution to LDAP?

Thanks!

Jon