[Cialug] DMZ, router's firewall and web server's security...

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Nov 29 08:57:46 CST 2005

I just have to chime in here with the 'firewal != security pancea' message.

OK, so even if you have a super-swell firewall, it isn't going to help you
if your run an insecure web application on your web server.  Apart from
insecure web-applications there are php and SQL attack possibilities to be
concerned about too.

Many people running apache don't realize what all the options are for and
could easily turn a great many of them off.

I know this first-hand having suffered an attack and subsequent "rooting" of
a box running an older version of the Drupal CMS.

-Nate