[Cialug] DMZ, router's firewall and web server's security...

Lee leeh at csi-rics.com
Mon Nov 28 14:13:07 CST 2005

First, simply put, a DMZ is an open unrestricted port forwarder. You use
a DMZ to open yourself to incoming requests as required by the type of
server in use. Generally a web server is on a DMZ for ease of access. I
run a web server on a DMZ so that I can allow and deny access directly
on the server and not forward specific ports through the firewall.

Second, I find that being laughed at is often a sign of ignorance of the
one doing the laughing. Before you judge something like a firewall you
need to know a few things. What are you trying to protect? Are you
already a target? Do you plan to store sensitive data on an otherwise
public server? If so then get a good hardware firewall. Another thing to
understand is how malicious access is gained. I have no figures to quote
but many holes are opened not by low grade firewalls. But by end-users.
If it looks suspicious don't click on, download or install it. Many
built-in (router) firewalls offer little more than Port Blocking,
packet Filtering, basic DOS protection and a few others. And much of the
time this is all you need. Below is a good place to start when trying to
understand these things...

http://www.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm