[Cialug] DMZ, router's firewall and web server's security...

Jerry Heiselman jweida at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 11:09:58 CST 2005

On the first point, some servers do require that they be in the DMZ.  DNS is
one of those that works without being in the DMZ, but certain errors can
crop up if it is setup that way.  I have run many webservers with only port
forwarding (not DMZ) and they have worked just fine.  I believe that HTTP
works well enough that there is no need to put your webserver in the DMZ if
you do not want to.  If I'm wrong on this point, would somebody please point
out why this is not recommended as I have heard it too, but never heard a
justification for it.

On the second point, router firewalls are decent.  They block unrequested
inbound traffic and will generally stop anything that comes to your door
knocking.  The advantage of having a software firewall or enhanced firewall
such as a Cisco PIX is that you can not only block inbound traffic, but you
can also block outbound traffic.  This can help in determining if someone or
something has compromised your system and is trying "dial home" for any
purpose.  I have used a software firewall in the past to do this type of
security, but for most home users, I find that it is overkill and can lead
to more support calls then anything.

jerry