[Cialug] hey kids, It's crazy drives!

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at etrumeus.com
Wed Nov 23 11:43:45 CST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 06:37:52AM -0600, Dave Weis wrote:

> If you have it mounted at /mnt/oldmachine, run
> mount -o remount,rw /mnt/oldmachine

funny this should come up, because just yesterday I was working
on a machine that, all of a sudden, was claiming that one of the
partitions on which I have some home directories (/home2 in this
case) was mounted read-only.

Giving mount the rw,remount options did not ameliorate this.
What I ended up doing was tracking down all the processes that
were using files on that filesystem, shutting them down,
unmounting, and then remounting.

A peek with the S.M.A.R.T. tools shows a drive failing.

YMMV.

--
Joe