[Cialug] Blackdog

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Mon Nov 14 12:02:43 CST 2005

FYI:

Steve McCool from Project Blackdog said he's going to try to get a demo
unit shipped to me for the meeting this week.

You may recall I forwarded a message a while back about this... the web
site is:

http://www.projectblackdog.com/

On a similar note, there was just an article at Tom's Hardware about a
little portable drive with Ubuntu on it. The biggest complaint they had
about it was the slow drive speed, so it takes about 5 minutes to boot.
This is a different way about it - the blackdog is a computer that uses
your PC as the display / network, and doesn't require a reboot. The
Ubuntu H2 is just a bootable drive, and you use the host PC for
everything else.

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20051110/index.html

IMHO - if you're going to go that route, I'd rather use a bootable CD
and a USB pen drive combo like you can with Knoppix or Mandrake Move. A
lot of PC's don't support booting from USB devices, and if they do,
require BIOS changes to make that happen.

-dc