OT [Cialug] Time for Suse funeral?

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Mon Nov 7 11:48:14 CST 2005

I actually brought this up with one their development directors at the
last conference.
I believe I used the phrase just pick a horse and back it, already.

He replied that the reason they don't do that is that you can't just
move
devs from one project to another, and that picking one horse means
laying everyone else off.  Apparently things have changed.

FWIW, I am running SUSE 10 and find it to quite usable.

I am also on the fence regarding the KDE/Gnome thing.
My main issue right now is that I really like konqueror and krename.
If, at the next meeting, someone can show me how to easilly set
open with and do mass renaming in a Gnome environment, I would
appreciate it.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net
515-245-7701

>>>dave at 58ghz.net 11/07/05 11:05 am >>>
My experience with Novell, is that they have always made great products
-for Geeks. (I switched to Linux before Netware 5, so I can't comment on
that one)

That said, my main gripe with Novell is that they have never been really
focused.  They're all over the place.

I was glad to see the move to Linux and granted it was a bold move, but
it made sense. However, they did go linux and went about ten differant
directions at once. I'm glad to see them have a little tighter focus.

One could say Novell went a bunch of differant directions with Linux, so
that they could see what was to become a viable component of their
business. (I do this alot) However, I think they worked hard and had a
little luck on their side. I really doubt that it was planned.

That said, I'm a little disappointed to see some of the focus move off
of Evolution, but there a billion things that could be done to improve
Gnome, and that is good thing. (Even though I prefer KDE).

:) Dave

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 10:44, David Stout wrote:
>For those who are interested this article explanins the rumor.
>
>http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1882118,00.asp
>
>Aaron Jensen <aaron at aaronjensen.net> wrote:
>        I wouldn't be getting too worked up.  Looking like the whole
>        article was based on rumor as Novell made an announcement this
>        morning that the whole article was false.  What was announced
>        is that they will be removing KDE and switching to GNOME.
>
>        Aaron
>
>        On 11/7/05, Lee <leeh at csi-rics.com> wrote:
>                If you read the responses at the bottom of that page
>                (assuming they can
>                be believed). it sounds like author of that article
>                may have taken
>                things out of perspective, to say the least.
>
>                Anthony Jeffries wrote:
>
>                >On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 08:07:52AM -0600, Paul Gray
>                wrote:
>                >
>                >
>                >>On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 05:43:53AM -0800, David
>                Stout wrote:
>                >>
>                >>
>                >>>I have a newer computer that I was hoping to load
>                SuSe 10.0 on. Now what? Any suggestions?
>                >>>
>                >>>
>                >>Debian, of course.
>                >>
>                >>Just trying to help.
>                >>
>                >>
>                >
>                >Along a similar line (i.e. Debian-like distros), try
>                Ubuntu
>                >(www.ubuntulinux.org). I'm using that on my laptop
>                now.
>                >
>                >
>                >

>                Cialug mailing list
>                Cialug at cialug.org
>

>        Cialug mailing list
>        Cialug at cialug.org
>

>David Stout
>BTS Billing Team
>Data Repository & Reports
>

>Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.
>

>Cialug mailing list
>Cialug at cialug.org

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606