[Cialug] rip an ISO

Renegade Muskrat dramaley at spatulacity.cx
Sun Nov 6 19:58:02 CST 2005

At 05:24 PM 11/6/2005 -0600, you wrote:
 >On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 04:45:55PM -0600, Renegade Muskrat wrote:
 >> Awhile back i downloaded a Debian DVD and burned it. Now i'd like
 >> make another copy. However, i've since deleted the original ISO.
When
 >> use dd to rip the burned DVD to an ISO, the MD5 sum is different
from

 >> the original ISO that i downloaded. I don't believe the disc is
 >> corrupt, just the ISO that is ripped is different from the one that
 >
 >> downloaded. I've noticed this in the past with CDs as well.
 >>
 >> Is there a way to rip a previously burned CD or DVD such that the
ISO

 >> is identical to the ISO that was used to burn the disc originally?
 >>                                                -- Dan
 >
 >dd if=/dev/hdc of=debian.iso

Doing that creates an ISO, but it is not identical (according to MD5)
to the one used to burn the disc with (even if the disc is good). Is
there a different way to rip an ISO that results in an identical file
to the original?
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233