[Cialug] Chmod

Chris Hilton chris129 at cs.iastate.edu
Thu Nov 3 13:59:48 CST 2005

Here:

 u  g  o
----------
-rwxr-xr-x

The first dash is "sticky", don't worry too much about it yet.
The next three are user, then group, then other.  User is your own permissions, group is permissions for anyone in a group you're in, and other is for anyone ... period.
The symbolic stuff is much easier to use on chmod than pulling octal stuff out of your butt, IMO.
You do:  chmod [u/g/o/a]+[r/w/x] .  'a' means u, g, and o.
So, for yours:
chmod a+rwx file
chmod g-w file
chmod o-w file

The minus sign means to remove the permission.  This has always
been the way I can actually remember how to do these.

Sorry for the html mail, it was the only way I could force fixed
width fonts.

On Thursday 03 November 2005 12:37 pm, David Stout wrote:
> I should know this but... how do id get file permissions of
>
> -rwxr-xr-x
>

> David Stout
> BTS Billing Team
> Data Repository & Reports