[Cialug] Chmod

Aaron Thompson aaron.thompson at uni.edu
Thu Nov 3 13:47:21 CST 2005

Here is a beginners doc that looks kinda useful:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-navigating-chmodnum.html

It has to do with the bits your setting. The 3 numbers (without the
set-id stuff) are just conversions from binary.

Here is a conversion table...

perm  binary   base-10
rwx   111      7
rw-   110      6
r-x   101      5
r--   100      4
-wx   011      3
-w-   010      2
--x   001      1

@

David Stout wrote:
> I should know this but... how do id get file permissions of
>
> -rwxr-xr-x
>

> David Stout
> BTS Billing Team
> Data Repository & Reports

> <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2ODgxNjkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a//farechase.yahoo.com/>

Aaron Thompson                  Assistant Oracle Database Administrator
http://www.uni.edu/~prefect/                University of Northern Iowa

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."
                                                         -Douglas Adams