[Cialug] no acceptable cc

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Tue May 31 13:34:24 CDT 2005

Josh More wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 12:24 -0500, David Courard-Hauri wrote:
>
>>When I installed SUSE a while back, I seem not to have installed gcc. I
>>couldn't find it on the disk, though I'm sure that's my fault, so I
>>figured I'd just download it. However, when I try to install it, I get
>>a bunch of successful statements, and then:
>>
>> > checking for gcc... no
>> > checking for cc... no
>> > configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
>>
>>So now I'm a little confused. First, I know I don't have gcc--that's
>>why I'm trying to install it. But shouldn't I have some kind of c
>>compiler? I mean, I'm a default kind of guy (yeah, yeah...but there's
>>so much to know in the world) and I can't imagine that SUSE would
>>default to install without a compiler, would it? If so, is there any
>>way to figure out what it might be called so I can just CC="cc_name"
>>kind of thing? If I need a compiler, any ideas on where I'd get that?
>>Thanks!
>

> SUSE is an rpm based distro, so if you don't install gcc, you can't
> build it from source.  You need to install the rpm.  Get the rpms that
> match your SUSE version from ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/
> (or the mirror at http://suse.osuosl.org/suse/ )

Not sure if this applies to SUSE, but on a Mandrake or RedHat system if
you just install the gcc package, you still can't compile much, since
you'll need all kinds of libraries, headers, utilities (make, parsers,
debuggers and the like) and such.

During the installation process, I usually choose the default
"Development" packages settings, which includes all of that stuff.

-dc