[Cialug] no acceptable cc

David Courard-Hauri david.courard-hauri at DRAKE.EDU
Tue May 31 12:24:09 CDT 2005

When I installed SUSE a while back, I seem not to have installed gcc. I
couldn't find it on the disk, though I'm sure that's my fault, so I
figured I'd just download it. However, when I try to install it, I get
a bunch of successful statements, and then:

 > checking for gcc... no
 > checking for cc... no
 > configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

So now I'm a little confused. First, I know I don't have gcc--that's
why I'm trying to install it. But shouldn't I have some kind of c
compiler? I mean, I'm a default kind of guy (yeah, yeah...but there's
so much to know in the world) and I can't imagine that SUSE would
default to install without a compiler, would it? If so, is there any
way to figure out what it might be called so I can just CC="cc_name"
kind of thing? If I need a compiler, any ideas on where I'd get that?
Thanks!

-- Dave
David Courard-Hauri
Assistant Professor of Environmental Science and Policy
Olin Hall, Drake University
Des Moines, IA 50311

515.271.3812