[Cialug] Mac Powerbook for linux?

Bryan Baker cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 25 May 2005 16:18:50 -0500

Here's a chart that tries to map proc performance across mfr's:
http://www.systemshootouts.org/processors.html
It doesn't go back to the G3 but it'll give you an idea where things
fall.

I have 10.2 running on an original G3 tower (thanks Barry) that, after
I replaced the smallish and krufty/slow internal HD with a new Seagate
80G runs pretty nicely (I also bumped the processor slightly to a 300mz
G3 I had in another system). It's OK for the bedroom surfing machine it
is. That said, we're about to get a dual G5 for my office, replace that
machine w/ the 800mz G4 iMac 17" I run now, and bump the G3 down to the
kid.

I think OSX up through Panther is supported on that machine (though it
won't "shine") - though, unlike MS, the rule has been (recently) the
newer the OS the faster, on the same HW). They've been very good about
the optimization part of the life cycle (partly because 10.0 was sooo
slow).

--
Bryan Baker
Technology Advocate