[Cialug] Mac Powerbook for linux?

Bryan Baker cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 25 May 2005 16:05:39 -0500

Here's a list of "Tiger" Compatible machines. The Lombard is just out
of the running (this time they require firewire).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

There's nothing that says you can't do both. I personally prefer OSX on
Apple hardware. With Darwin Ports I can run (and manage the
installation of) most any of the F/OSS stuff I need, and the native OSX
environment is really hard to beat (for me) for a desktop. It's a
really nice mix/balance.

So, I'd say for the Lomabard either Linux or Panther (only if it
already has it) for the 700 I'd say stick w/ OSX and learn about Darwin
Ports (or dual boot).

On May 25, 2005, at 3:28 PM, Alan Maupin wrote:
> I'm taking possession of an ibook 700 mhz in a few days and also
> wondered if
> I should stick to OS-X or try a PPC distro.  Any suggestions?

Bryan Baker
Technology Advocate
Iowa Legal Aid
Suite 230