[Cialug] 1U rackmount PSU question

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 23 May 2005 16:38:37 -0500

... which is why several of us have just pointed out some pre-built
rackmount systems. Especially in a 1U case, you're going to have all
kinds of space & heat issues that you don't have to worry about in an
ATX tower.

Calculate how much you're going to "save" by building your own system,
add in your time to build it, and then your frustration when your
heatsink doesn't fit, or it overheats.

The Dell 1U servers have a (very loud) fan system that blasts a large
volume of air thru them, but they keep nice and cool. They have built-in
video, dual gigabit ethernet. They have one PCI / PCI-X slot for
expansion cards on a sideways riser card.

You can get a stripped down Dell server for about $1k. My sc1425 with 1
2.8ghz xeon, 2 x 80gb SATA drives (using software raid) and 1gb ram was
about $1300.

I'm not a salesperson for Dell, but I'm really happy with them. Of
course, DW does resell Dell servers, he can give me a kickback if you
buy one from him. :p

-dc