[Cialug] what distros were out in 1996?

Alan Maupin cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 19 May 2005 23:39:45 -0500

I began using Linux in 1994 with Slackware.  I still have my original 1.0
CD's I purchased from Walnut Creek CDROM around here somewhere. If I were
attempting to solve the problem you described with older hardware, I would
probably use a floppy boot and root disk off the latest version of
Slackware.

It worked great 10 years ago on a 486 system.

You can find archived Slack distro's from version's 3.3 (1997) up to the
latest 10.1, here ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/

-----Original Message-----
From: cialug-admin@cialug.org [mailto:cialug-admin@cialug.org] On Behalf Of
Darcy Baston
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 10:19 PM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: [Cialug] what distros were out in 1996?

I just got an old Pentium 200MHz machine, with a 1996 Phoenix BIOS.
It's got 32 megs ram and an 8 gig hard drive.

Tried to boot off Mandrake 9.2 (works on wife's laptop) : "no
operating system found" -> BIOS message

Tried to boot off SuSE 9 live CD (works on wife's laptop) : "upgrade
your bios" -> SuSE message

Managed to boot and install OpenBSD 3.4 (works fine on year 2000+
computers I've tried it on), but it can't find /usr/bin/sh when it
boots, so I have to manually make it load csh instead (at a #
prompt). I can see it in /usr/bin when I'm ls'ing around, but the
file system gets mounted read only anyway so I can't even create a
user account, get a login prompt or anything.

So now I'm open to see what else I can try and what's easier on me.
I'm too much of an amateur to get going on OpenBSD. Was Redhat the
way to go in 1996? Where can I get 10 year old distros to try? What
do you think is wrong with the BIOS that SuSE and Mandrake won't
boot? Thanks!

warm wishes,
Darcy