[Cialug] [ot] laptop

Chris Hilton cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 19 May 2005 00:29:05 -0500

If durability is what you desire:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=65051&catGroupId=31954&modelNo=Toughbook-73&surfModel=Toughbook-73

I can understand avoiding Apple, but not because they aren't rugged.
For a consumer class laptop they are very well constructed:  Although
I'd have to disagree witht he performance advantage that was mentioned
earlier.
If I were going to buy a laptop today I'd buy something with a Pentium
M, it's a great mobile chip.  But you won't see too many over 2GHz, not
that that has anything to do with the performance (who ever thought we'd
see Intel evangelizing the megahertz myth?).
Anyway, there is also:
Sharp (uber lite)
Toshiba (I think Sony repackaged)
Sony
ASL (usually something repackaged running Linux, their modifications are
often atrocious)
Asus
Alienware

That's all that's popping into my head.