[Cialug] Meeting Topic ?

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 18 May 2005 18:02:53 -0500

Dan Hockey wrote:
> David Champion wrote:
>
>> I brought my PC along... but hopefully Theron will be bringing his
>> working MythTV box.
>>
>> p.s. Did you guys see the /. article about the MythTV program guide
>> service?
>>
>> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/0224217&tid=129&tid=106
>>
>> -dc
>>
> It looks like they're trying to be like clark connect, by charging you
> money for a once free open source software package. Time to switch
> Freevo maybe?...
> -dh

Not at all. MythTV is still free.

They're selling a TV Guide listing service. The current method is to use
a service called Zap2it, which lets you use it's service for free only
after you fill out a survey periodically.

The new service costs you $5 / month, but some of that will be donated
back to the MythTV project for development.

Freevo (and any other OSS PVR project) is in the same boat with the
listing service situation, I would assume you could use this
subscription based service too.

-dc