[Cialug] Distro Suggestion

John Roach cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 16 May 2005 15:27:39 -0500

Is Mandriva avail as an ISO?

Thanks,

John Roach
Information Technology
Easter Seals Iowa
(515) 274-1529 Ext. 276

This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this
electronic transmission contain confidential information belonging to
the sender. This information may be legally privileged. The information
is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If
disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in
reliance on or regarding the contents of this electronically transmitted
information is strictly prohibited.=20

-----Original Message-----
From: cialug-admin@cialug.org [mailto:cialug-admin@cialug.org] On Behalf
Of David Champion
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 3:22 PM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: Re: [Cialug] Distro Suggestion

Josh More wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 14:50 -0500, John Roach wrote:
>=20
>>Does anyone know of a good distro with X for lower end systems? I am=20
>>looking at deploying this out for our users, so it will have to run=20
>>open office. I have been working with linspire 5.o and sofar 2=20
>>machines out would take an install.
>=20
>=20
> On my low end machines, I run Fedora with XFCE.  It's nice and snappy.
>=20
> You can also look into Damn Small Linux.

How "low end" are you talking about?

I'm running Mandriva 2005 LE (aka Mandrake 10.2) on a P2 366 laptop w/=20
128mb RAM, and KDE, and it works fine. I also have Mandrake 10.1 on a P2

266 desktop with 128mb RAM, and it's useable. Those are both running
KDE.

When they switched to the 2.6.x kernel, it seems like it became a lot=20
nicer to use on slower machines, I believe this is due to the updates in

the virtual memory handling. When I had Mandrake 10.0 w/ a 2.4 kernel on

that laptop, KDE was un-usable, and I had to run XFCE.

I don't run OpenOffice on those very much : I typically only have a=20
couple of xterms, firefox, and maybe gaim running.

-dc