[Cialug] Maxtor drives

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 16 May 2005 14:15:21 -0500

--=_alternative 0069C6B186257003_=

Maxtor and Western Digital drives are pretty much consumer grade drives...
 They don't have the same duty cycle/MTBF as commercial/server class
drives.  They have anywhere from 1-3 year warrantees whereas Seagate/IBM
have 3-5 year.  I don't like either, but prefer Maxtor when compared to
Western Digital.  YMMV based on a particular model too.

I would recommend Seagate or IBMs.  And even Seagate/IBM have lower end
drives geared to consumers which I wouldn't purchase.

You don't see RAID manufacturers using Maxtor or Western Digital...wonder
why?

johnl
--=_alternative 0069C6B186257003_=

pretty much consumer grade drives... &nbsp;They don't have the same duty
cycle/MTBF as commercial/server class drives. &nbsp;They have anywhere
from 1-3 year warrantees whereas Seagate/IBM have 3-5 year. &nbsp;I don't
like either, but prefer Maxtor when compared to Western Digital. &nbsp;YMMV
based on a particular model too.</font>
even Seagate/IBM have lower end drives geared to consumers which I wouldn't
purchase.</font>
Maxtor or Western Digital...wonder why?</font>
--=_alternative 0069C6B186257003_=--