[Cialug] New Xbox

Lee cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 13 May 2005 14:58:28 -0500

I must have missed something. Isn't the PPC CPU in the XBOX just IBM's
existing multi-core tech? I wouldn't think Sony would have ok'd the realease
of the CELL in a next-gen competitor.

-----Original Message-----
From: cialug-admin@cialug.org [mailto:cialug-admin@cialug.org]On Behalf
Of David Champion
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 2:15 PM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: Re: [Cialug] New Xbox

Yeah, it's the "Cell" processor, which essentially has 3 PPC cores. A
similar CPU will be used in the PS3.

Windows has been ported to other processors in the past: WinNT for
Alpha, WinCE (and various other names for the same thing) for ARM,
Hitachi Super<whatever> that's in the Sega Dreamcast & a lot of PDA's, a
Motorola 68k derivative...

-dc