[Cialug] BSD

Bryan Baker cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 13 May 2005 11:22:38 -0500

(jon sorry about the signing thing, it's been a bit wonky since I
re-did them, please disregard)

THe main thing was default, built in Innodb support (3.2x it was an
add-on) and one of the main performance upgrades we did was moved
several of the more active tables over to Innodb format to avoid some
serious locking based performance issues we had experienced. We could
have done the same thing in place, even sticking w/ 3.2x but this
allowed us to do a fairly clean cut over - get it all configured &
working on new hardware, then migrate the data and cut over.

On May 13, 2005, at 11:14 AM, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> How was your experience in moving from mysql 3.2 to 4.x?  Did you gain
> anything substantial?
>
> I'm using 3.x here and I have found more reasons not to upgrade than
> upgrade. (they are systemic reasons, not issues with 4.x, as I know its
> rock solid)
>

> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 11:04, Bryan Baker wrote:
>> Well, it's not exactly BSD, but we  moved our main case management
>> database from LAMP to OS X (on an X-Serve) where the user space is
>> fairly BSD-ish and I'm very happy. Having said that, I will also point
>> out that it was also an opportunity to move to faster hardware (in
>> this
>> particular case) and from MySQL 3.2x to 4.x and make several other
>> optimizations that hadn't been done when originally implementing the
>> system.
>>
>> On May 13, 2005, at 10:50 AM, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
>>> Anyone running LAMP ever consider making the switch from Redhat
>>> Enterprise to Open BSD or FreeBSD?
>>>
>>> Did it work well for you in a production environment (ISP, ASP, etc.)
>>>
>>> :) Dave
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Open Source Information Systems (OSIS)
>>> Dave J. Hala Jr. <dave@osis.us>