[Cialug] BSD

Josh More cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 13 May 2005 11:12:02 -0500

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 10:50 -0500, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> Anyone running LAMP ever consider making the switch from Redhat
> Enterprise to Open BSD or FreeBSD?
>
> Did it work well for you in a production environment (ISP, ASP, etc.)
>
> :) Dave

I tried it.  I had lots of problems with hardware support and the
fact that ext2/3 support in FreeBSD is sub par.

Eventually, I gave up on FreeBSD and loaded Slackware.

>From a production standpoint, I think that RHEL/CentOS or SLES
make the best sense.  Much easier to support as you have a more
active support communities.

That said, if you have odd hardware, I have been *very* impressed
with NetBSD.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP
 morej@alliancetechnologies.net