[Cialug] [Politech] Heading west! I'm leaving DC for San Francisco (fwd from declan@well.com)

D. Joe Anderson cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 10 May 2005 13:55:36 -0500

Looks like Declan McCullagh will be swinging through town later
this summer, on a one-shot kind of coast-to-coast relocation
deal.

(I don't subscribe to politech, but I do see references to
specific articles from time to time.)

--
Joe

----- Forwarded message from Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com> -----

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:24:36 -0400
To: politech@politechbot.com
Subject: [Politech] Heading west! I'm leaving DC for San Francisco

Folks,

After over a decade of living and working in Washington, DC, I'm finally
moving to the west coast.

Unless something unexpected happens, I'll relocate to San Francisco
around August 1 and live in the city itself.

I'll continue to write about politics and technology for CNET but expand
my coverage to include elements of computer science and aerospace -- two
areas that I've been interested in for 20 years but have never had a
chance to write about professionally.

It's been a long run for me as a Washingtonian (how long before one
qualifies as a native, anyway?). I arrived for temporary stints in 1991
and 1995 and returned for the long haul in 1996. In hindsight, that was
far too long to live in this town.

For those of you who have the dubious pleasure of remaining in the DC
area, I feel a little like what J.R.R. Tolkien had Bilbo say: "I don't
know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than
half of you half as well as you deserve."

I'd be delighted to meet up with Politechnicals once I'm on the left
coast and get tips on what to do, where to live that's also near the
280, and so on. Are there any local mailing lists worth joining? What
sites are there to see when driving approximately 2,507 miles on I-80?
Should we have a Politech gathering in SF this fall?

-Declan