[Cialug] Linux in schools

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 10 May 2005 10:37:54 -0500

My understanding is that since most schools roll their own administration (they
have someone untrained, formally or informally, handle admin tasks) they prefer
solutions with ... easy administration.  This doesn't discount linux solutions,
it simply highlights that the fight is in support and not cost/features.
Cost is always a benefit, but I don't think it's the right place to be talking
about in this case.  I think features are likely more important.  OSS solutions
are going to benefit the kids for the reason that they will still be around
when they graduate.  Things like Microsoft Office are pointless to learn, by
the time you learn one release the next release has shifted it around (of
course, I don't advocate teaching things that should be obvious).  This is to
some extent true for everything.  However, you don't see the drastic changes
that you do in the proprietary world.
Also, the kids can dig into things a little more, if they're geeky.  And they
can learn a whole lot more that way.  Plus, all their school software can be
used at home without buying extra licenses!  And when they leave school, they
can take these tools (the software) with them without buying what becomes
REALLY EXPENSIVE licenses.
Just because I can get something like Office for free now doesn't mean I can
afford $500 for it the second I graduate...

Like I said, the biggest thing to overcome is the naturally occurring FUD.  It's
the same thing that inspires "if it ain't broke ..."  People aren't gonna wanna
shift from something that's not stressing them out to something that
potentially could.  They need to know there is help when they need it, and
moreover they need to see it in action and find comfort in seeing they can
administrate it.
If anything, giving it to them free of charge is the scariest part.