[Cialug] opportunity iowa

Dave J. Hala Jr. cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 02 May 2005 12:35:42 -0500

To make a long a story short, Mediacom (and others) are lobbying to pass
legislation that will make it impossible for Municipalities to use to
tax dollars to build fiber networks connecting the homes.

They wrongly use the ICN as a failed example. The telco's got
legislation passed the prevents the ICN from making fiber connections
past the point of presence in each community.  That is what killed the
ICN.

They present Opp Iowa as a bad thing, when really opp Iowa's position is
to use tax dollars to build the infrastructure, and then let anyone
provide services. Mom & Pop ISP's, Telco's Municipalities, etc.  Its
good for everyone, unless you already have a monolopy providing mediocre
services.

:) Dave