[Cialug] Stirring the Pot for Installfest

Theron Conrey cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:16:02 -0600

David Champion wrote:

> Theron Conrey wrote:
>
>> Does the LUG generally distribute posters etc prior to an event such
>> as this?
>>
>> http://www.conrey.org/installfest.png
>>

> Theron, thanks for submitting your poster concept... I like it.
>
> Yes we do usually distribute posters to promote the Installfests. In
> the past we've had pretty good success with them. The most recent
> Installfest we did last fall didn't get very well promoted, and we had
> poor attendance.
>
> -dc

Thanks,
I think that your comments are important in regards to the last
installfest.   I'd like to help whomever it is that is in charge for
installfest (Barry can you hear me?) this year in getting together what
is really going to draw folks to an installfest.  First off, IMO we
don't need to dilude the reason that people that don't know anything
about GNU/Linux, might come, such as distro logos catchy statements
etc.  These types of things mean nothing to say............my dad.  My
dad, however, does care about malware, viruses, and other associated
nasties that plague his windows computer.  So to get technically savy
people to commit to coming, even just to visit, we've got to pique thier
curiosity, not shower them with logos. (yes I suppose that includes even
the microsofties).  (Phew that was first?!?!)
Secondly, for the student or generally speaking geeky type guy who is
ready to dump windows but dosen't know where to start, We don't want to
say anything on our poster that he or she may not understand i.e. makes
us sound pompous, i.e. scares him or her away.
Of course, all of this implies that there will be enough people in the
LUG willing to assist.
Thirdly and to end this tirade with a challenge  There need to be ONE
poster that the LUG is using for the event,  (a poster yet to be
designed), so as to give us, the appearance at least, of being a
cohisive group.

Theron

Where to distribute posters?
Add to the list:

Grandview Campus
Drake
DMACC (all campuses)
Skywalks
DM Public High Schools All
All local TV and radio channels (we don't need money for advertising,
Linux is big enough that it MAY spark a freebie.  This happened when I
was living in NJ for a LUG there....)
CoffeeHouses
Downtown Gatherings
Churches