[Cialug] Stirring the Pot for Installfest

Theron Conrey cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:07:05 -0600

D. Joe Anderson wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 07:13:49PM +0000, Theron Conrey wrote:
>

>>Does the LUG generally distribute posters etc prior to an event such as this?
>>
>>http://www.conrey.org/installfest.png
>>

>You mean, like this?
>
>http://dui.debian.net/hardcopy/graphics/poster/cialug/
>
>One pet-peeve of mine when it comes to the posting of material
>like this is the frequent lack of posting of editable copies.
>That way, every poster-maker ends up starting from scratch, and
>the poster ends up fielding piddly suggestions for improvement
>(aka spelling flames ;-) instead of being able to say "please
>make corrections and improvements," sort of the
>LUG-administrative equivalent of "send patches".
>
>Lack of editable copies, I suppose, has its good points, from
>the perspective of getting some variety in the design, which
>might be considered keeping it "fresh" even if its an accidental
>or otherwise roundabout way of approaching that goal.
>
>Only slightly less frustrating is when someone posts an
>ostensibly editable copy only in the format of a proprietary
>software package, rather than in, say, OpenOffice or (for those
>hardcore oldschoolers out there) TeX.
>
>Heh.  At least you didn't post it as a .gif.  ;-)

Lack of editable copies I concur is a bad thing if multiple folks are
trying to work on something. However in this scenario, I believe that
the frustration is slightly off target and I hope that we adjust it, or
I'll be "set ablaze" in the process.

I'm unaware as to whom I would be submitting my editable copies to
etc...... As far as viewing them on the web for input, or as for
"stirring the pot" a file posted in a format that is a free and patent
free format, such as png, that is also capable of being rendered
correctly in a web browser without plugins should suffice. (I made the
assumtion that some of the LUG would want to view the poster without
opening an additional app other than a browser, and beyond that it not
require any additional applications)

Making corrections and improvements assumes that there is person to whom
the corrections / improvements would be submitted to, even if it's the
creator. Making the furthur assumption that I was collecting
improvements / corrections (which by the way I'd be happy to do) would
mean that I would need to know to whom I was providing a final copy of
an image/poster/thingamahgig to.

If someone (is that you Mr. Anderson?) is collecting this type of thing,
I would gladly submit these types of things. Good point however as to
not at least linking to a downloadable editable version.

http://www.conrey.org/installfest.xcf.gz

Confused abit however as to your comment to OpenOffice and Tex however.
I am using the GIMP for image editing, and manipulation. <regurgitated
info>As I read the GIMP falls under the GPL and that the xcf file format
is it's native file format. </regurgitated info> So does saving a GIMP
file as a .png (which is a free and patent free extension) makes it a
proprietary file? Even though I can still edit it in the GIMP?

*nods to gif reference

Theron