[Cialug] Fedora Core 3 SELinux

Chris Hilton cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:28:12 -0600

Good to hear.

My understanding, and I believe I read this in RH magazine, is that the
FC3 policy set is pretty pathetic (they mentioned it having like 5,000
rules).  My experience has been bad with it.  Upon doing an upgrade from
FC2 it worked fine, with SELinux disabled.  Then I enabled it, and found
my system unbootable.  It worked after a full reinstall though; gotta
love mass RPM upgrades!
To give a perspective on the 5,000 number, RHEL4 WS I think they said
has 290,000 rules.  I've not really played with it much; but in all
cases I've heard this repeatedly:
It does you little good unless you add some rules yourself and make the
sandbox smaller and smaller.

If I understand it right.  It adds application level permissions to
files.  So you can say /etc/shadow is only accessible by applications x,
y, and z; and then determine the permissions for those applications
(rwx).  So if someone manages to root you, they can't `vim /etc/shadow`;
they have to be more creative!