[Cialug] Ciacug and general hardware

Josh More cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:51:12 -0600

While it may technically work, some distros (RHEL / CentOS) have a check
on install
for i686 arch.  The K6 fails this check, and you simply cannot install
the OS on a K6
machine.  What you *can* do, however, is hack that logic out of the
install script, and force
and install.  My experience has been that it will not boot after that,
but you can go into
rescue mode off the CD, install the kernel-BOOT rpm and manually
configure GRUB.

This process may apply to other distros as well (such as SLES), but I do
not know this
for a fact.

-Josh More

>>> doncady@bigfoot.com 03/21/05 8:03 AM >>>
I don't see how it would. An i686 kernel (and any app/module/etc for
that
matter) with flat i686 'PPro-level' processor instructions will execute
perfectly fine on all AMD models K6 and later. It's when various
optimizations- MMX, SSE (&2&3), etc. are used on processors that won't
execute them that things run afoul.
Lauren- to know what has what see the links Lee posted friday, google
it, or
go to the AMD site.
A specifically compiled kernel/and/or/distro will probably run faster,
but a
straight i686 distro can be an ok secondary option.

Don

>> The Ciacug has gotten in more of the nice Compaq servers that Dave W
>> picked up awhile ago not sure how much they want.. Also they got in a
>> bunch of PIII dual processor and 2 gig ram boxes that they are
letting go
>> for 300.. Nice Linux boxen.. I know this is a little off topic ..
Dave W
>> if you interested email me off list and I'll check into it more..
More on
>> topic is AMD-K62 takes a different arch doesn't it or do you use the
i686
>> kernel I am trying to get a distro for a friend and want to make sure
it
>> loads. I know a little naive of me but it has been awhile for the
AMDs.

>  In debian they have a kernel built for K6 CPU's.  I 686 Kernel would
> probably have issues on a K6, it is for intel
PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV.