[Cialug] Ciacug and general hardware

Don Cady cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:03:45 -0600

I don't see how it would. An i686 kernel (and any app/module/etc for that
matter) with flat i686 'PPro-level' processor instructions will execute
perfectly fine on all AMD models K6 and later. It's when various
optimizations- MMX, SSE (&2&3), etc. are used on processors that won't
execute them that things run afoul.
Lauren- to know what has what see the links Lee posted friday, google it, or
go to the AMD site.
A specifically compiled kernel/and/or/distro will probably run faster, but a
straight i686 distro can be an ok secondary option.

Don