[Cialug] new cable modem advice

Stephen Hawkins cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:56:51 -0600

Barry,

On Thursday 17 March 2005 14:59, Barry Von Ahsen wrote:
> as I was complaining about last night, I'm about to ditch my P.O.S. RCA
> cable modem, and I'm soliciting advice for it's replacement.  From what
> I can google, the Motorola surf board 5100 seems pretty good.

After having a wearying number of arguments with the tech support folks at my
current ISP, and several others in the past. Arguments over things that
should have been detected by them, and fixed before I ever called, I decided
that I would pay the 3 bucks a month and use their Cable Modem no matter what
kind it was.

I did this because it seemed to me that every time I called my ISP to let them
know that they had a problem, they told me:

A. Reinstall Windows even though I don't use Windows.
B. You have a bad cable modem.

Where upon I could then tell them, "No, it is your cable modem".  It is
amazing, right after I point this out, magically the cable modem starts
working, and is no longer the culprit.  It has saved me endless arguments.

Steve
--
73 49 111 01001001
Stephen Hawkins NG0G