[Cialug] FC3 DNS PROB

frankie cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:14:49 -0600

	I think I got it. Found a DNS howto and chowned the permissions on
named.conf to named.named, then created a soft link to
/var/named/mayhem.nut.hosts from
/var/named/chroot/var/named/mayhem.nut.hosts. When I rebooted and check
the logs I am got:
  /etc/named.conf:27: when using view statements, all zones must be in
views. I deleted the view entry from named.conf and rebooted. This
produced the error localdomain already exists. I checked and named.conf
had two entries so i deleted the second entry. I checked the logs and
named had not started due to a fatal error. So I ran /etc/init.d/named
restart and it restarted OK. Ran dig and status changed from NXDOMAIN
to NOERROR. Nslookup changed to 'Can't find mayhem.nut: No answer' from
'" ":nxdomain'.  Host command pulls up IP addy and named-checkzone is
OK. If this helps anyone, the frustration will have been worth it.
Thanks to those who responded.

Irv Robison
IRVNET
515-720-7816
frankie@raccoon.com
www.irvnet.us

Optimism and perserverance have gotten me farther then anthing else I
have tried.

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you
are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee,
you
must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message
or
any information herein. If you have received this message in error,
please
advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.
Thank
you for your cooperation."