[Cialug] samba on fc3

admin cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:44:15 -0600

ok. don't know what the deal is here, never had a problem with samba
before. my new install of fc3 has samba(Samba version 3.081013) on it. i'm
trying to make it so i can connect my wifes web shares on it to my wifes
XP pro desktop.

i don't use any fancy domain controller or nothing like that. just a wide
open LAN. should just be connect and go.

heres what i've got so far.

i started smbd -D and nmbd -D so its showing up in network neighborhood.
but thats where the problem i believe is lying. I cannot get it to resolve
the computers(fc3) name in the workgroup. i'm thinking its a firewall
issue, but i already opened 137-138(udp) and 139(tcp) on fc3.

i need the windows pc to be able to map the network shares that fc3 is
putting up in the workgroup. windows can't access the shares because "the
network path was not found".

thanks in advance

want an email address ending in @c0wzftp.com?
send an email on over to admin@c0wzftp.com