[Cialug] Cluster

Chris Hilton cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:16:49 -0600

Aaron Porter wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:00:49 -0600, Lee <leeh@csi-rics.com> wrote:
>

>>What sort of interconnect should I be looking for. Is a fast 10/100 switch
>>all I really need. Or is the speed between the two just that... A matter of
>>preferred speed?
>>

>That's an incredibly subjective question. It all depends on the
>workload. If you're doing something (like SETI, rc5, etc) that uses a
>lot of cpu time for tiny little chunks of data input and output, than
>10/100 is probably ok, but for most real world applications
>(bioinformatics, rendering, etc) you're really going to want gigE (or
>better). A xeon or an opteron with a 64bit pci nic can flood a gigE
>pretty reliably.

You also have to account for latency and how that will affect your
processes.  The general rule today, from my understanding, is that
Gigabit on PCI is a MINIMUM.  And it's not unreasonable, most good
motherboards are shipping with gigabit onboard now, and an intel gigabit
card is very affordable, so are gigabit switches.
But as I understand if low latency is important, ethernet is the devil.
I have very little experience with this, most of what I'm saying is just
regurgitation from meetings with a guy who does know what he's talking
about.