[Cialug] [Way OT] that evil company's database won't reattach

Barry Von Ahsen barry at vonahsen.com
Tue Jun 21 13:05:18 CDT 2005

this is where the geeks are, so I ask here:

I have an MSSQL database that I detached and deleted the log.ldf.  Now
when I try to reattach, it won't do it.

Enterprise manager, and query analyzer using sp_attach_single_file_db
and sp_attach_db both fail with error 1813:
Device activation error. The physical file name 'c:\path\to\file.ldf'
may be incorrect.

anyone come across this before and fix it?  everything says that I
should be able to reattach and have the log file recreated

-barry