[Cialug] Noise

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Tue Jun 14 11:15:39 CDT 2005

You forgot:

g) Rackmount screwed to the door and / or frame = vibration noise.

Rackmount servers have very high rpm fans. That vibrate a lot.

Probably depends a lot on your house construction...

I have one of those fans (not the computer fan type) that's on a stand
with blades about the size of your average home box fan. It has little
foam rubber feet on it, and I usually have it on a hardwood floor. It's
amazing how much vibration noise it makes. When you're right next to it,
it's not bad at all. In other rooms, it's quite loud.

I have my server in the basement. It's cool down there, and you can't
hear it. Not that I could hear it over my danged Shuttle XPC's fan
anyway. :(

-dc