[Cialug] best supported/performing Ethernet adapter?

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Mon Jun 13 11:46:08 CDT 2005

I suppose it is a "server" in some sense of the word. ;-)  More like a pile
of disks with a tiny computer attached.

I had one of the netgear gigabyte cards in this very machine, I think it
killed the machine by burying the PCI bus or something though.  Everything
was slowed down so I pulled it, what's the sense of having gigabit if you
can't use it?  In my experience so far, the machines with a dedicated bus
for onboard GBE, or more than one PCI bus fare better with Gigabit cards.
I'd be interested if anyone else has had a different experience.  (this was
true for two much faster Windows machines as well)

Other than the price of the 3C905 cards I can't complain much about them.  I
think I had them all from one batch with the same chipset though.  One rumor
I heard said 3Com got crazy and put several different versions of the card
out (chipsets?) and wrote a really fat driver to cover them all.  They were
some of the last of an expensive pedigree.

-Nate